Top 5: Technical Quotes from Legendary Producers
Along with the philosophical mindset needed to become a good music producer, there is the technical aspect of knowing how to approach making a hit record.
A lot of times, it’s not what you should do, but what you shouldn’t do, or better yet, eliminate from your technical practice has a music producer.
Here are the Top 5 Technical Quotes:
1. I try to stay away from VSTS and complicated software synths, first because I’m too stupid to understand how to use all the million buttons, second, because everyone can get those sounds. I tend to use a lot of out board gear, like old keyboards, because it’s way easier and not everyone has those sounds. – Benny Blanco
2. Sometimes, instead of building a track piece by piece, it’s more productive to build the entire song around one particular sound that plays through the majority of the song. The other sounds you add should be used to fill out the other frequencies and make it sound more full. – Danja (On how he produced We Taking Over)
3. It’s not how well you can play an instrument, but the way the instrument sounds when it’s played. That is the key to making interesting and memorable records. Mic the piano differently, or use instruments that ppl would never use. Weird sounds are popular records – Daniel Ram (DanielBeats)
4. What is the most important thing in my setup? It would have to be my external hardrive that is almost full of all my drum sounds. – Benny Blanco
5. Master all the equipment you use. That’s the key. – Pharrell
6. *Bonus* There are all these VSTS out there that claim they emulate some old synth. But if you’re too young or don’t even know the sounds these VSTS are suppose to sound like when trying to emulate of an old keyboard, what is the point? Stick to stuff you know and know it well. – Chad Hugo (The Neptunes)
- Daniel Ram